College of Liberal Studies is one of the seven colleges making the Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic. It was founded in 2018. The college is an amalgamation of five departments, namely: the Department of General Studies, Mass Communication Department, Library and Information Science Department, Basic Studies Department and Department of Remedial Studies. These departments formed the nucleus of the college 5-Department-Structure. College of Liberal Studies is a large college in physical size and numerical strength of students and staff population and in number of programs it runs. The college has the highest number of Chief Lecturers in the polytechnic; by implication, therefore, it is the college that has the highest most experienced lecturers in the whole of Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic. It is a highly cosmopolitan college with students from all over Nigeria. The current Director of the college is Yahaya Danladi.
The College of Liberal Studies is envisioned to be a prime mover of socioeconomic growth and sustainable development of Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic and Katsina State in particular and Nigeria in general through the provision of trained and competent middle level manpower.
It is the vision of the college to become a recognized leader in a number of highly significant academic and non-academic activities in the polytechnic. It will become the college of first choice for an increasing number of prospective candidates.
Regardless of any differences in socioeconomic status, creed, gender and ethnic affiliation the College of Liberal Studies main mission is to prepare students to liberate themselves from dependency and to endow them with entrepreneurial skills, creativity, critical thinking and democratic values.
DEPARTMENTS OF COLLEGE OF LIBERAL STUDIES
- The following are the departments in the college:
- Basic Studies Department
- General Studies Department
- Library and Information Science Department
- Mass Communication Department
- Remedial Studies Department
ABOUT THE DIRECTOR
Yahaya Danladi was born in Funtua, Katsina State. He had his early education in Katsina before proceeding to College of Education Kafanchan where he obtained his Nigeria Certificate in Education (English/ Hausa). He obtained his Bachelors’ Degree B. Ed Language Arts (English) at the famous Ahmadu Bello University in 1995 and M. A Linguistics at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto in 2009. He began his academic career as Lecturer I in the Department of Languages Hassan Usman Katsina in 1998. Yahaya has over twenty (20) published articles to his credit. He has successfully supervised a number of National and Higher National Diploma Students projects. In his academic career, he served and still serves in various committees and several leadership positions in the polytechnic.
- Commencement of Newly Approved Programmes
- Construction of 1No Block of 6 Offices for the Department of Technical Education, College of Science and Technology
- Procurement of Additional 4No HP Pro 3010 Computers 33No Magnetic Boards with Dusters and 30No. Drawing Boards for the Department Architecture
- Procurement of 33No Magnetic Boards with Dusters and 30No Drawing Board for the Department of Architecture
- Procurement of 19No HP Pro 3010 Computer with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 320GB HDD. Conditions for Academic Staff Offices